Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm flattered

I'm flattered. I really am. I got a phone call one evening this week from a Christian school about 60 miles south of here on I-95. They're a very young school and they have a lot of exciting opportunities ahead of them. I was called because they are interested in hiring a combination of teacher and administrator for next fall. I've done that, and I'm willing to do it again.

The first twenty minutes of the call involved my saying, "Hello, this is Bill," and then listening while an impassioned description of the founding and status of the school was delivered in detail.

Eventually, after having a couple of chances to add my comments and ask a few questions, the caller then revealed the salary range for this position. It was less than half what I was making at my previous employer (where we were living paycheck-to-paycheck as it was). Then the caller told me the tuition rates charged, explaining that tuition was only for the paying of salaries. They were much too low, too.

The saying, "You get what you pay for," is aptly applied to this situation. Would I enjoy the challenge of helping a fledgling school grow and mature? Sure, I would! But there is a real cost involved. If this school added to its total one-third of what it already charges, the tuition would still be incredibly cheap for a private school in the U.S., and it would help them meet their staffing needs much more quickly.

It was flattering to be called and to hear that my skills were sought after by this school. However, I still have to support my family, and this would not do it.

Still trusting in the Lord and praying for the right fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment