Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vicki Caruana

Vicki Caruana is the author of "Before the Bell Rings", a devotional book for teachers. I found it at the local Christian bookstore in 2009 and have read nearly half of the entries during "Teacher Prayer Time" that is held four mornings a week at my current place of employment. Some of the readings hit close to home, and I've decided to share some of Vicki's thoughts here.

Day 121: "You pray for me, I'll pray for you." In this devotional Vicki challenges her readers to make prayer the foundation of their day. As for "finding the time" for it, she suggests that "prayer can be a natural part of your daily activities", noting that "we seem to find time to complain about" everyday matters, so "choose to pray instead." Indeed, she says, "Be on the hunt for prayer opportunities. They're all around you!"

On Day 123, her reading challenges God's people to trust in God's provision by remembering that we don't always get what we want, but we always get what we need. She related having a job that she thought would be great but that turned out poorly for her. However, it opened a door that met a need in her family, so she learned to see that she did not get what she wanted, but she did get what she needed.

Day 124, today's reading, was called "Not what I signed up for." In this reading, Vicki reminded teachers that "teaching is a vocation, not an occupation." Therefore, teachers are to work on behalf of their students even when it is uncomfortable or inconvenient to do so.

There are more readings coming that are poignant for me at this time in my life. I am grateful for the experiences and wisdom of others shared with me to help we walk with the Lord in light of all circumstances. I am thankful today for Vicki Caruana.

1 comment:

  1. Glad Before the Bell Rings has been a help to you...that is as it was intended. Stay focused...activity breeds activity. Things can change when you change. :)

    ReplyDelete