Monday, October 11, 2010

From One Cemetery to Another

Yes, Dan, I admit it: I'm stealing ideas from you. Well, maybe "stealing" is too strong. I'm definitely getting ideas from you, though. But just to show that I give credit where it is due: http://aponderingpilgrim.blogspot.com/2010/10/thoughts-from-pine-tree-cemetery.html.

Unlike you, I did not spend much time in cemeteries as a kid. The nearest one to my house was too far for me to go, though in actual distance it was no more than a mile from home. I'm not sure of the name of it, but I think it's rather mundane, such as, "North Carmel Cemetery."

The only headstone of interest to me there was the one that has my mother's name on it. She died more than 23 years ago when I was just seventeen and a junior in high school. She knew your two elder brothers, and she loved them very much. She treasured the time that she had with them.

Mum died on a Tuesday evening. The memorial service was held at our church, of course, and over three hundred people showed up for it. There was no viewing; the cremation had already taken place. As a result, there was no burial, either. No burial, and no headstone. Dad bought the headstone several years later. I've been there, and cried there. I missed her and grieved her loss. I felt keenly her absence from my life, my dreams, my choices, my pursuits. I blamed God even while I clung desperately to him for comfort.

While you cast about for the anchor of your life, Dan, I hope that cling desperately to the One that can be your anchor, even as you plumb the depths and search the mysteries of his grace. Challenge him to make himself real and known to you.

Don't stay forever in the cemetery, though. He will walk with you there, but that is not where he resides, and if you are in him then that is not your residence, either. Mum's not there. Mrs. Lynch is not there. They are with him at his residence. That's where we should go, too.

2 comments:

  1. It took me a few minutes to figure out who Moose Patrol was, and why he was commenting on my blog -- then I realized. Uncle Bill! :)
    This is a great post -- the writing is beautiful, and I love all that you said. My mom said the writing sounds a lot like Josiah's writing. I've never read much of your writing, I guess, and I'm glad to find your blog. I'll be sure to keep up with it. :)

    ReplyDelete