Sunday, September 22, 2013

The latest, greatest Moose Petrol

For two years now, I've been substitute teaching at a maximum security juvenile "development center" school. For the first year, subbing was typically sporadic. Starting 13 months ago, however, I've had steady hours, bolstered last fall with a brief stint as a seasonal call center representative for The Boot (not the company's real name, just in case you're confused), and odd jobs here and there, such as substitute church custodian, farmhand, and paint scraper/primer. For three months at the start of 2013 I was "Acting Capacity Teacher for ELA/SS" at the aforementioned facility, but did not qualify for the position permanently. However, the position was closed down, anyway, and I returned to regular subbing responsibilities.

After applying and interviewing for teaching and administrative positions for more schools and locations than I can even recall anymore, I began this month as "Acting Capacity Teacher for GED Prep and Maine/U.S. History" at the aforementioned facility. It is a position that will not be closed down, so I applied for it. This week, I will interview for the permanent position that I am currently temporarily filling. The labors are hard, but not without reward. The commute is lengthy, though not impossibly so. I want it very much.

My social studies certification suffices to procure this job, but in order to properly fill the position, I must gain certification in English for 7-12 and Adults. Therefore, I am in the process of completing 14 credit hours (or slightly more) required by the state's department of education to complete my certifiability completely. (Don't tell my professor about that previous, hideous contraption of a sentence, please.)

As I am such a self-focused lad (though not a young one), I think that I will share with my blog readership of 6 some of the works I am creating this fall in the Intro to Creative Writing course in which I have enrolled online. UMPI gets the credit and I will take the blame. Enjoy. Or don't.

Affectionately yours,
MP UB

No comments:

Post a Comment