Thursday, June 21, 2012

Leftovers and Free Food

What do you do with leftovers? There was a little piece of steak leftover from Fathers Day supper, along with 6 bites of potato. I sliced it all into less-than-bite-sized pieces and warmed them briefly in the microwave. Then I put them in the frying pan with a half a teaspoon of cooking oil. As the pan heated, the meat and potatoes were soon ready for the eggs. Yes, I made an omelet.

Six medium eggs, with two tablespoons of milk, a couple of dashes of seasoned salt and one dash of garlic powder, poured over tasty morsels of grilled steak and potatoes. Before turning the eggs to cook on the other side, I sprinkled three medium pinches of shredded cheddar cheese into the mix.

The steak, potato, and cheddar cheese omelet was pretty good, if I say so myself. I don't think I'll need lunch, given the size of the breakfast.

I also had some free blueberries to use before they went bad. I sat down this morning with my "New" Betty Crocker cookbook (the same one I've had since college) and perused possibilities for my fresh blueberries. Pancakes. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'd be the only one eating them. My older son, C, can tolerate blueberries in some foods, but not in pancakes, and my younger son, M, won't eat anything that's actually food. He prefers the tires off his toy trucks, the cardboard and paper from lollipop sticks, and so on, including chicken nuggets and fries.

So, pancakes were out. How about a blueberry coffee cake? Nope, don't have all the ingredients (or at least, I don't know where they all are). Blueberry pie? Not enough berries. Blueberry-apple pie? Hmmm. My older boy's arrival in the kitchen forced me to make a decision, as he was hungry and impatient for my masterpiece.

Muffins it is! He and his little brother fought over which one would "help" me more, though neither one really did much. Within a few minutes, the blueberry muffins were in the oven. They came out just as I was mixing up my omelet. C begged for one as he ate his toaster waffles. I obliged and held my breath. A piece went into C's mouth..and stayed there. He chewed thoughtfully.

"How is it, son?" I queried.

He swallowed, smiled and nodded. "It's good, Daddy."

He's said that before about other foods before spitting them out or giving up (and by giving up, I mean, stopping the consumption, not the "giving up" my sister J thinks of) on them, so I held my breath a little longer. He kept eating the muffin, including the blueberries, so I knew his acceptance was for real. Whew. I tried one and have to admit, again, that they are pretty good. I do say so myself.

I don't always make good use of leftovers and free food, but today was a "win" in that category. Now it's time to do the dishes. What a mess I make when I cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment