Saturday, January 14, 2012

Happiest Days

Yesterday was one of the happiest days of my life. I have had many wonderful days. Some of my happiest days are:
1. The day I realized that Jesus had died on the cross and risen again to pay for MY sins.
2. The day Laurel agreed to marry me.
3. The day Laurel married me.
4 & 5. The births of my children (and all that their becoming my children entailed).
6. The day my eldest nephew, I.D., demonstrated that in spite of the autism that locks his language from auditory expression, he could nonetheless make a public profession of faith, and took his church membership vows.
7. The day the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004.

Yesterday ranks in the top ten, even though it involves someone I am not related to. It was the day that a former student of mine returned home safely from military service in Afghanistan. Perhaps it is because I know his family pretty well and have stayed in touch with them since their kids were no longer my students. Perhaps it is the friendship I have formed with him and his brother since they were my students many years ago. Whatever the reason, I am thankful to God for hearing the countless prayers on this young man's behalf, and that He has brought this young man home to his family.

He is not the only former student that God has brought safely through military service, and I am thankful for each one that has served and for his safe return. I am proud of each one, and I continue to pray that God would keep them close to Him, whether in times of war or in times of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment